Canton Family Law Attorney Serving Connecticut Clients

Canton Family Law Attorney - Canton, Connecticut map

Having a respected and experienced Canton Family Law Attorney on your side can help when you have a serious family law matter. My clients come to me with a variety of problems, running the gamut from divorce and child custody to juvenile proceedings, school suspensions, and even traffic tickets. Nobody really wants a third party (the legal system) intruding into private family affairs, but sometimes this is the least distasteful alternative.

Don’t Let the Legal System Chew You Up and Spit You Out

Sometimes my clients come to me later in the legal process than they ought to, with horror stories of injustice that came about because they attempted to represent themselves or because they chose an inexperienced family lawyer to represent them. My name is James C. Wing, Jr, and I absolutely will not allow the Connecticut legal system to push you around. Do you need a Canton Family Law Lawyer? I am an experienced and committed lawyer and will help you with your family law matters.

Representing family law clients is a fine line to walk sometimes. In many if not most cases, the preservation of personal relationships is at stake and my client does not want me to use a “scorched earth” strategy – especially when the emotional well-being of children is involved. Nevertheless, every client comes to me with certain goals – goals that I must achieve.

Criminal Law Matters

Criminal charges, of course, don’t fit within the narrow definition of “family law” – yet most criminal matters deeply affect the family of the accused. I represent clients charged with a variety of crimes, with particularly extensive experience representing minors in juvenile court. As a Canton Criminal Lawyer, I am dedicated to fight for your rights.

Message from a Former Client

“Jim was extremely knowledgeable and made time to speak with us to explain all the intricate issues. Jim gave us the information we needed and told us the step by step process. His assistant Jacki was kind, supportive, and available to speak with each time I called.”

~ Criminal Defense Client

More about Canton, Connecticut

Canton, Connecticut is home to the Onion Mountain Kitchen – and for me, that is saying a lot. Over the years I have served clients from various local neighborhoods such as Canton Valley and Collinsville. I especially enjoy the vitality of Collinsville, one of the “Ten Coolest Small Towns in America” according to Budget Travel magazine.

Practice Areas

I frequently work in the following practice areas:

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the difference between probation and parole?

Probation is a substitute for incarceration and is often granted to first-time offenders. Parole is how a person who has already been incarcerated for a while completes his sentence if the parole board so permits. In both cases you would be subject to restrictions on your behavior, violation of which might subject you to incarceration.

Can I stop paying child support if my spouse illegally refuses to allow me visitation with my children?

No, you can’t – the two issues are considered independent of each other. You can, however, challenge your spouse’s refusal to allow you visitation in court.

What rights does my child have in a school expulsion proceeding?

You and your child are entitled to the following rights, among others:

  • Notification of the time, date and purpose of the expulsion hearing
  • Sufficient time to respond
  • Notification of the facts and reasons surrounding the expulsion
  • A fair hearing
  • Representation by a Family Law Attorney

How can my child become legally emancipated?

Emancipation will result in your child being treated as a legal adult, with a corresponding termination of your parental rights and responsibilities (e.g., financial support). You can start the process by filing a Petition for Emancipation with the Probate Court. To qualify, your child must be 16 or 17 years old, and:

  • married,
  • in the armed forces, or
  • living apart from his parents (or guardian) and managing his own finances.

The court may also grant emancipation if it determines that emancipation would be in the best interests of the parents or the child. It is important to contact a knowledgeable Canton family law attorney to discuss these matters.

About James C. Wing, Jr.

James C. Wing, Jr. enjoys the benefit of over 30 years of experience tackling some of the most difficult family law problems his clients can bring him. He was educated at Hartford University and the University of Connecticut School of Law, and he served for three consecutive years as President of the Hartford County Bar Association. He often lectures on family law topics.

Act Quickly – Time Is of the Essence in Your Canton Family Law Matter

The Connecticut legal system is complex, competitive, and somewhat unpredictable. Lack of preparation and failure to understand the relevant legal principles can be fatal to your chances. Fortunately, there are two actions you can take that will greatly enhance your chances of success – (i) choose the right Canton Family Law Attorney and (ii) act quickly.

Interested in discussing your case with an experienced, skilled Canton Family Law Lawyer, then call me today at (860) 651-3707 or complete my online contact form for a free, no-obligation initial case consultation.