Dedicated Family Law Lawyer Serving Connecticut Clients

Granby, ConnecticutGranby, Connecticut, on the edge of the Litchfield Hills, is home to former clients of mine from all over town – Salmon Brook, North Granby and West Granby. My clients come to me to help them resolve all kinds of family-related issues involving marriage and divorce, child custody and visitation, education issues, criminal charges, and even personal injury.

Family problems are among the most distressing of all problems because they involve our most intimate relationships. When it becomes necessary to involve a third party (namely, the state government), the problem can become gut-wrenching. Given the nature of the Connecticut justice system, the assistance of an experienced Granby Family Law Attorney is a practical necessity.

Don’t Get Caught Flat-Footed

In an ideal world, the fair resolution of a family law problem would be inevitable. As I am sure you have noticed, however, we do not live in an ideal world. Although Connecticut has made great efforts to mitigate the harshness of our adversarial justice system when it comes to family issues, the fact remains – you are going to need legal assistance to maximize your chances.

One of the attributes of an effective Granby Family Law Lawyer is his ability to walk the fine line between zealous advocacy and compassion. In many cases, for example, a family law issue will directly implicate children, and an all-out war between divorcing spouses is in nobody’s best interests.

Criminal Charges

Some criminal charges directly involve family matters – domestic violence charges and juvenile truancy charges for example. Other types of criminal charges bear less obvious relationships to family matters – such as DUI (OUI) charges or driver’s license suspension hearings. At the law office of James C. Wing, Jr., handling these types of charges are just part of what a criminal law lawyer does.

A Former Client Says…

“I highly recommend Attorney James Wing, Jr. to anyone who finds themselves in need of legal representation. He helped our family with a complicated legal matter involving our son. His experience and knowledge enabled him to clearly communicate the situation to us. He was also very skilled in dealing with the court to obtain the best outcome possible. He ensured that our son’s interests were protected, and that he was treated fairly by the court.”

~ Juvenile Client

Practice Areas

I often handle cases in the following practice areas:

Frequently Asked Questions

How does probation work?

Probation is often used as alternative to incarceration. If you are put on probation, you will have to report to a probation officer periodically. Certain restrictions might be placed on you, such as:

  • You may not leave the state
  • You must take alcohol or drug abuse classes
  • You must work or look for work
  • You cannot associate with certain people

If you violate any of the terms of your probation, you might be incarcerated.

Do I need to take parenting education classes?

You are required to take parenting education classes if:

  • You are divorcing and you have a child from the marriage
  • You are a party to a child custody action
  • You are a party to a child visitation action

The course only takes about six hours of class time to complete.

How does a protective order differ from a restraining order?

A protective order is issued by a criminal court incident to an arrest, and it prohibits the subject of the order from contacting the protected person (or limiting the kinds of contact allowed). A restraining order is similar in effect, but can be issued by a civil court without an arrest.

How much are the official filing fees for a divorce?

The following fees apply (and are subject to change):

  • $350 to file the complaint
  • $50 to have the complaint served on your spouse
  • $125 for a parenting education class (if children are involved in the divorce)

Other fees may apply, depending on the complexity of your case.

About James C. Wing, Jr.

James C. Wing, Jr. is dedicated to serving the people of Connecticut – in fact, he earned both his undergraduate degree and his law degree in Hartford, and he has been practicing family law locally for more than three decades. His expertise in family law matters is so well-recognized that he is constantly invited to speak before educators, psychologists, and even other lawyers.

You Need a Professional Advocate

The Connecticut legal system is no place to “go it alone.” In addition to securing professional representation, you need to act quickly – the longer you wait, the more your options narrow. Missing a critical deadline, for example, could leave you at a serious disadvantage or even kill your chances of getting a positive result.

You need a committed family law lawyer on your side. Contact me today by calling (860) 651-3707 or by filling out my online contact form, and I will schedule you a free consultation to answer questions about your case.